https://nspt4kids.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/nspt_2-color-logo_noclaims.png 0 0 Deborah Michael https://nspt4kids.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/nspt_2-color-logo_noclaims.png Deborah Michael2012-06-22 16:01:332014-04-27 03:01:00Keeping Your Child With Special Needs Safe
How do I keep my child safe?
Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night screaming after a nightmare that my child wandered off and I never found him again. Children with special needs have an even higher chance of wandering off. What do I do to keep him in my sight?
This week, we all read about Kahil Gray, the missing boy from Chicago with autism. Kahil was found 3 days later, 26 miles from his home. Kahil has autism and only speaks a few words. His parents were lucky that someone spotted him days after he went missing. What can be done to prevent losing our kids?
How to prevent your child from wandering off:
GPS tracking technology is often associated with fun gadgets and navigation for vehicles, but there are many potential security applications for this type of technology as well. Product and software developers have created a handful of tools to harness the power of GPS tracking for better safety and security, allowing parents to keep track of their children. http://securitynews.hubpages.com/hub/Safety-for-Wandering-Seniors-with-GPS-Tracking
Here are some additional tips to keep the kids from wandering:
- Use a tracking/watch device that you can purchase.
- Download an app for your child’s iPhone so you can track the phone.
- Have the child memorize a plan if he is lost; keep a piece of paper with that plan and have the child practice handing it to people to help him. He should have several copies of it with him at all times.
- Keep medical bracelets on kids that tend to wander.
- Alert police even before the child is lost so that they will keep an eye out for your child; many cities now keep a database on special needs children should they go missing.